It’s really easy to forget how dangerous electricity is. We use it for almost everything we do, and it makes it easy to take it for granted. The problem is that if we get hit by a bolt of lightning or stick our fingers in a socket, we aren’t going to become the Flash. We’re going to be seriously injured. Electricity is too dangerous to take lightly.
When is it okay to do my own electrical work?
The simple answer to this question is: “Never.” If your project requires any form of electrical work, you need to call a licensed electrician. The reasons for this are fairly simple:
- Electricity can and does cause injury and death.
- 电 wiring and systems are complex. Simple mistakes can lead to serious consequences.
- There is a risk of an electrical fire.
In the name of protecting your family, your health and your house, you need a hands-off approach to electrical issues. One of our electrical managers says: “No touching!”
What kinds of work require an electrician?
Anytime a project involves electricity, you need an electrician. This includes lighting upgrades, fixture replacements, outlet problems, remodeling and so much more!
Here are several projects that require an electrician:
- Upgrading or replacing smoke detectors
- 电 panel upgrades
- Replacing or repairing plugs and outlets
- Adding fixtures like ceiling fans or recess can lighting
- Adding exhaust fans and oven hoods
- Adding lighting to your shop and garage
- Garage door opener power problems
- Home addition and remodel projects
- Installing attic fans
- Installing whole-house surge protection
- Installing pool lighting and equipment
- Installing or upgrading wells and sump pumps
- Installing welding outlets
- Installing electric car chargers and RV plugs
Sometimes, you need to call an electrician for an emergency. Don’t ever try to handle an emergency by yourself! Since most electrical parts are hidden inside walls, how do you know if there’s a problem?
How to tell if you need emergency electrical help:
• The breaker doesn’t reset after tripping
• Outlets are not working
• The breaker, outlets, light switches or electronics are hot to the touch
TLC提供 electrical inspections by our licensed electricians. They inspect your home’s electrical system to make sure everything is working properly and safely. 如果你是 TLC PMA成员, you can get a free electrical inspection every year.
We especially recommend an inspection if you have an older home. Homes built before the 80’s have aluminum wiring, which needs to be inspected annually for loose connections that can cause fires. An inspection will help keep your family safe and give you peace of mind.
What’s the bottom line?
The point is that electricity is not something to take lightly or to meddle with. It is part of our everyday lives, so we forget how dangerous it can be. Don’t risk your house or your safety! Call an electrician to take care of your electrical needs.